Persian Khoresh Gheimeh
- 1/2 lb lamb or beef stew
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 lb potatoes cut into fries
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 5 cups broth
- 1 cup tomato puree not flavored
- 3 cups boiled or steamed rice
- salt & pepper
Gheimeh Culinary Spice Kit
- Omani limes, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, black pepper, cardamom, white pepper, nutmeg
- Preheat OVEN to 400°F.
- In a BOWL, mix potatoes with 2 tbsp oil and salt to taste.
- Place potatoes in one layer on a non-stick BAKING SHEET.
- Bake in OVEN for 20-30 minutes until they become crisp and golden. Turn midway.
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil.
- Fry onions over medium heat until they turn golden. Add garlic. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add meat. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth, tomato puree, Gheimeh spices, and salt & pepper to taste. Cover.
- Bring to a boil. Cook over low heat until the meat is almost tender.
- Add lentils and adjust salt.
- Cook for about 20 minutes until all ingredients are tender.
- Serve lentils over rice and top with fries.
- Omit the meat and cook the broth for 15 minutes before adding the lentils.
- Substitute lentils with yellow split peas. Soak them in water overnight and add about 10 minutes to the cooking time.
- Substitute potatoes with frozen fries.
Enter the Culinary World
Be Inspired | Explore your boundaries and creativity