Persian Khoresh Gheimeh
Khoresh Gheimeh is a traditional Persian dish, a unique combination of fries over a lentil stew. The key flavor ingredient is dried Omani, or black lime, with its distinct flavor paired with holiday spices like cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg. Omani limes are usually added in whole and cooked for hours. This spice blend includes ground Omani limes for a delicious weeknight dinner.
- 1/2 lb lamb or beef stew
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 lb potatoes cut into fries
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 5 cups broth
- 1 cup tomato puree not flavored
- 3 cups boiled or steamed rice
- salt & pepper
Gheimeh Culinary Spice Kit
- Omani limes, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, black pepper, cardamom, white pepper, nutmeg
- Preheat OVEN to 400°F.
- In a BOWL, mix potatoes with 2 tbsp oil and salt to taste.
- Place potatoes in one layer on a non-stick BAKING SHEET.
- Bake in OVEN for 20-30 minutes until they become crisp and golden. Turn midway.
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil.
- Fry onions over medium heat until they turn golden. Add garlic. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add meat. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth, tomato puree, Gheimeh spices, and salt & pepper to taste. Cover.
- Bring to a boil. Cook over low heat until the meat is almost tender.
- Add lentils and adjust salt.
- Cook for about 20 minutes until all ingredients are tender.
- Serve lentils over rice and top with fries.
- Omit the meat and cook the broth for 15 minutes before adding the lentils.
- Substitute lentils with yellow split peas. Soak them in water overnight and add about 10 minutes to the cooking time.
- Substitute potatoes with frozen fries.