Hungarian Gulyás Meat Soup
- 1 lb beef stew meat (*)
- 1 lb potatoes cut in bite size pieces
- 1-2 red or green bell pepper cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 can tomato/es whole or chopped (8 oz)
- 24 oz beef or vegetable broth
Optional for serving
- 3-4 small round bread
You might have
- 2 onions chopped
- salt & pepper
Culinary Spice Kit
- Hungarian paprika, marjoram, black pepper, bay leaves
- In a large POT, heat 2 tbsp oil over high heat.
- Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Fry meat until all sides turn slightly brown.
- Stir in Gulyás Spices and fry some seconds without burning the spices.
- Add onions, tomatoes, broth, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cover the POT. Bring to boil. Turn heat to low-medium and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Make sure that the soup is cooking slowly but doesn't stop to cook.
- Add potatoes and bell peppers. Cook 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are just cooked.
- Cut off the top of each bread.
- Scoop most of the inside out.
- Fill with Gulyás. Serve immediately.