Lobio is a very popular dish in Georgia, Europe. It's served as a hot stew in the winter or a cold dip in the summer. There exist many variations for the ingredients. Please select your favorite from our suggestions. You might want to serve it with pomegranate and cornbread for an extraordinarily complex flavor experience. Pickled vegetables are another good addition. The spice blend is the famous Khemli Suneli.
- 2 cans kidney beans drained and rinsed, 15 oz each (see notes for substitutes)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped (see notes for substitutes)
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup walnuts ground (see notes for substitutes)
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Lobio Culinary Spice Kit
- Coriander, fenugreek, mint, paprika, black pepper, turmeric, methi, savory, basil, cinnamon, cloves
- Pomegranate molasses or fresh seeds (see notes for molasses recipe)
- Cornbread or flatbread
Step 1: Prepare Beans
- In a BOWL, mash about 2/3 of the beans with a potato masher.
Step 2: Fry
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Fry the onions until soft, stirring frequently.
- In a POT, add all beans and broth. Mix well.
- the fried onions with the oil,
- ground walnuts,
- salt & pepper to taste,
- and Lobio spices.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- For a sweet-sour note, add pomegranate molasses or pomegranate seeds to taste to the finished dish or over the plated meal.
- Serve with cornbread.
Beans▪ Substitute beans with navy or cranberry beans. ▪ Substitute half of the beans with 1/2 lb ground meat.
Herbs▪ Substitute cilantro with mint or parsley.
Nuts▪ Substitute walnuts with almonds or hazelnuts or 1 tbsp flour in step 4.
PomegranateRecipe for pomegranate molasses Variations ▪ If you love garlic: Add 2 cloves grated garlic in step 2. ▪ If you prefer to add veggies: Add 8 oz green beans and 0.5 cup more broth in step 3. ▪ If you love nuts: Add 0.25 cup chopped walnuts in step 4.
Georgian Bread: Khachapuri recipe.