- 1 lb lamb, sirloin beef, or chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1/4 inch thin strips, about 1/2-1 inch long
- 2 cloves garlic grated or pressed
- 1 large onion halved and sliced
- 1 bell pepper yellow or red or mixed, cut into 1/4 inch thin strips
- 2 tbsp red wine
- vegetable oil *
- salt & pepper
Berbere Culinary Spice Kit
- Paprika, mild chilies, coriander, ginger, basil, ajwain, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, fenugreek
- 1-4 fresh jalapeño and/or red chilies finely sliced
- flat bread Ethiop. injera ** recommended
- rice cooked or steamed
- tomato cucumber salad with light dressing
- In a BOWL, mix wine, garlic, and Berbere spices. Set aside.
- In a large PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add onions and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Stir-fry 5-10 minutes over medium heat, until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the mixture from the BOWL and bell peppers.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If necessary, add 1-2 tbsp of water.
- Add meat and stir-fry quickly over high heat for about 2 minutes, until the meat is just cooked. Add salt to taste.
- Serve tibs with your preferred sides.
Ethiopian Injera - Shortcut Version
Injera is best made with teff flour. This gluten-free grain is increasingly available in grocery stores with a wide product selection. Of course, Amazon has it too.
Authentic Ethiopian injera requires a long preparation time and many steps spread over several days. The baking requires a special pan dedicated only for injera and years of experience. Our shortcut recipe skips the long preparation and can be made on a regular pan. Though the spongy texture can't be reached, the use of teff flour creates an authentic flavor and is fun to eat.
- 3/4 cup teff flour
- baking soda
- 2 tbsp yogurt, plain
In a BOWL, mix teff with a dash of salt and baking soda.
Add 3/4 cup of water and the yogurt.
Heat a dry PAN over medium heat.
Add 1/4 cup of the batter in the center of the PAN.
Tilt the PAN with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
Cover and cook until the batter is dried, about 2 to 5 minutes. Don't turn it.