Vegetables in the Spotlight
Malai Kofta is a luxurious North Indian delicacy that tantalizes the senses with its creamy and aromatic sauce, and melt-in-your-mouth koftas.
The soft paneer cheese and vegetable or meat koftas are simmered in a velvety sauce that’s infused with our blend of aromatic spices. Each bite leaves you craving for more.
Malai Kofta Spice Blend
Turmeric, ginger, coriander, cumin, methi leaves, black
peppercorn, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, saffron
With or without meat, gluten free, or lactose free
Authentic without Meat
If you prefer the authentic malai kofta, try the recipe without meat:
- garbanzo bean flour
- grated mixed vegetables
- grated or crumbled cheese
The meat malai kofta recipe has the same flavor profile. The ingredients are reduced to make room for ground meat.
The malai kofta recipe is made with flavorful garbanzo bean flour which is natural gluten free.
For your convenience, we offer garbanzo bean flour in small amounts in our shop.
Malai Kofta Sauce
- onions, garlic, broth (any), tomato puree (unflavored), and heavy cream
Indian Malai Kofta
Kofta Option 1: Meatless (Authentic)
- 3/8 cup garbanzo bean flour *1
- 3 cups grated mixed vegetables *2
- 3/4 cup grated or crumbled cheese *3
Kofta Option 2: With Meat
- 8 oz ground beef
- 1/8 cup garbanzo bean flour *1
- 2 cups grated mixed vegetables *2
- 1/4 cup grated or crumbled cheese *3
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2-3 cloves garlic (optional) chopped, pressed, or grated
- 1 cup broth of your choice
- 1 cup tomato puree unflavored
- 1 cup heavy cream *4
- salt & pepper
Malai Kofta Culinary Spice Kit
- 1 pouch: Turmeric, ginger, coriander, cumin, methi leaves, black peppercorn, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, saffron
- basmati rice
- flatbread *5
- In a BOWL, mix all kofta ingredients, 1 tbsp or about half of the Malai Kofta spices, and salt to taste. Shape the mixture into small round or oval forms.
- In a PAN, heat oil and fry the koftas until they are golden brown on both sides.
- Scoop them out and drain them on paper towels.
- In a wide POT, heat 2 tbsp oil.
- Fry onions and optional garlic until translucent.
- Add the remaining Malai Kofta spices.
- Stir-fry for about 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomato puree, and cream (*4). Bring to a boil.
- Add the fried koftas. Coat them with the sauce.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes to reheat the koftas.
- Serve the koftas with the sauce over rice or with flatbread.
- Optionally, sprinkle with nut pieces and chopped parsley or cilantro.
- all-purpose flour, or with almond or cashew nut flour & 1 tbsp of starch.
- 1 cup almond or cashew milk
- 2 tbsp almond or cashew butter