Panch phoron is an Indian spice blend from five whole seeds. It includes fenugreek which is known as an essential ingredient to Indian curry blends. The seeds are always used whole. They are fried in oil until they pop, or can be used as a spice rub.This is a simple recipe for fried chicken. Alternatively, the aromatic oil from step 1 can be used as the base for a fried vegetable dish.
- 1 lb chicken legs, thighs, wings
- 5 medium tomatoes quartered
- 4 cups basmati rice cooked or steamed
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- limes or lemons
- oil or ghee
Panch Phoron Culinary Spice Kit
-  Brown & yellow mustard, cumin, fennel, fenugreek, nigella
-  Kashmiri chili
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Fry Panch Phoron  spices until they begin to pop.
- Add ginger and garlic.
- Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken and salt to taste.
- Stir-fry chicken over high heat for about 5 minutes until all sides turn brown.
- Add tomatoes.
- Add salt and Panch Phoron  spices to taste.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 10-20 minutes until tomatoes fall apart and the chicken is cooked.
- Serve the panch phoron chicken on rice with lime wedges.
- Substitute chicken with fish filet, shrimp, or tofu.
- For a vegetarian version, substitute chicken with garbanzo beans, potatoes, and mixed root vegetables.
- Optionally, season the rice with turmeric.