Rice and beans is a one pot dish. The ingredients are cooked together with onions and a few spices. This basic recipe offers many optional variations.
In the Caribbean, rice and beans are often called rice and peas because, originally, the dish is made with pigeon peas. Today, kidney beans are most commonly used.
- 1 can of beans (*), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch of ginger, whole
- 2 sprigs thyme, whole
- Salt to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, whole
- 1 scotch bonnet or habanero chili, whole
- For a Caribbean flavor, replace 2 cups of water with coconut milk (1 can).
- For a traditional Trinidad flavor, add 1-2 tbsp green seasoning (**) before serving.
- In a POT, add all ingredients and 4 cups of water.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low.
- Let it simmer for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Scoop out the whole spices.
- Serve this side dish with one of our Caribbean recipes.
(*) Choose from kidney beans, black beans, black eye peas, or pigeon peas.
(**) Green seasoning recipe.