Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken legs or thighs with skin
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 shallots roughly cut
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp brown sugar to taste
- 1 lime or lemon quartered
Jerk Culinary Spice Kit
- Pouch  Allspice (Jamaican pimento), thyme, black peppercorn, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg
- Pouch  Habanero chili very hot!
- Cooked rice or baked potatoes.
- Slices of fresh mango or papaya.
- Caribbean rice & beans (recipe link in the notes)
- Caribbean coleslaw (recipe link in the notes)
- In a BLENDER, add garlic, shallots, tamari, vinegar, sugar, 2 tbsp oil, Jerk  spices, and a pinch of salt.
- Add Jerk  spices to taste.
- Blend into a smooth paste.
- In a CONTAINER, add the chicken pieces and mix them well with the marinade.
- Let them marinate in the fridge for 24 hours. Turn the chicken pieces occasionally.
- Preheat OVEN to 400°F. Place chicken pieces on a greased BAKING SHEET.
- Bake in the center of the OVEN, turning occasionally, for 20-30 minutes until all chicken pieces are cooked through.
- When they are browned enough on the outside, turn the heat down to 350°F.
- Sprinkle the jerk chicken pieces with lime juice to taste and serve them with your preferred sides. Enjoy!
- Grill the marinated chicken at your next BBQ.
- For a darker skin, brown the chicken pieces over high heat on a greased GRIDDLE or PAN before you bake them in the OVEN until cooked through.
- Caribbean rice and beans recipe
- In the Caribbean, rice and beans are often called rice and peas because, originally, the dish is made with pigeon peas. Today, kidney beans are most commonly used.Caribbean Coleslaw