The preparation of this delicious Georgian cheese bread khachapuri is only recommended to avid bakers.
But there is a shortcut option. You can buy fresh premade pizza dough and skip the dough ingredients and preparation.
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 packet active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium egg, whisked
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 oz hard mozzarella [*1] or provolone cheese, shredded
- 5 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Prepare the Dough [*2]
- In a large BOWL, add the ingredients for the starter dough and mix well. Let it stand for 10 minutes.
- To the BOWL, add 1/2 tsp salt and all liquid ingredients. Mix well.
- Add 2.25 cups of flour one cup at a time and mix well.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead for about 3-5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased BOWL. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or kitchen towel. Let it sit in a warm place for about 45-60 minutes until it doubled in size.
Prepare the Filling
- In a BOWL, mix the cheese. Then add the water and mix well.
Finish the Khachapuri
- Half the dough and quarter the filling.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one part of the dough into a round shape.
- Place one quarter of the filling onto the flat dough.
- Form the khachapuri shape by rolling in two opposite sides of the circle until only 1/3 of the circle remains uncovered in the middle.
- Next pinch the open ends together to get the authentic khachapuri form.
- For a video demonstration of the forming, please click here:
Forming the khachapuri
- Fill the uncovered center with another quarter of the filling.
Bake the Khachapuri
- Preheat OVEN to 450°F.
- Place khachapuri on a greased baking sheet. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until the crust turns slightly brown. Take it out.
- With a spoon, make a small hole in the center, just big enough to fit one egg yolk. Add the egg yolk.
- Return the khachapuri to the OVEN for another 2 minutes. Take it out.
- Grease the crust with some butter. Place 1/2 tbsp of butter on each vertical side of the egg into the cheese.
- When serving, mix the butter and egg into the still warm cheese.
- You can make the dough in a food processor.
- Mozzarella cheese: not the original fresh mozzarella but the hard mozzarella cheese