Tabil Apricot Tagine
Tabil with a Twist
Tabil tagine with dried apricots is a mouth-watering dish that combines tender chicken with the sweet and tangy flavor of apricots, all seasoned with a delicious blend of Tunisian spices known as “tabil”. Our blend is a new approach to this classic with caraway instead of cumin.
This dish offers a perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors that are sure to delight your taste buds. The juicy chicken is marinated in our aromatic spice blend and then slow-cooked to perfection.
Tabil Spice BlendCoriander, smoked paprika, caraway, chili, mint leaves
Tunisian Tabil Apricot Tagine
- 1.5 lbs chicken pieces boneless *1, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic optional, chopped
- 1 bunch kale any type, chopped *2
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup chopped apricots *3
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt & pepper
Tabil Culinary Spice Kit
- 1 pouch: Coriander, smoked paprika, caraway, chili, mint leaves
- Moroccan harcha flatbread see recipe link in notes
- couscous, bulgur, or farro
- boiled potatoes
- salad Tip: Add 1 tsp of rose water.
- In a BOWL, mix chicken pieces with 2 tbsp oil, Tabil spices, and salt to taste.
- Let the chicken marinate in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours.
Fry & Cook
- In a POT, heat 2 tbsp butter and fry onions and optional garlic over low heat until the onions turn slightly brown.
- Add chicken and apricots. Fry over medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add kale, 1/2 cup of water (or broth), and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until the meat*1 is tender.
- Optionally, thicken the sauce with 1 tsp corn starch or arrowroot powder.
- Serve with your preferred sides.
- Optionally, garnish with parsley or mint leaves.