Algerian Lahm Lhalou Prunes Tagine
This warming winter dish is cooked in one pot with precious saffron, cinnamon, and prunes. Usually, it is made with fresh prunes which are cook with cinnamon and honey. Dried prunes make it faster for a weeknight. Adjust the sweetness to your taste preference and depending on the type of dried prunes that you can find. Not a fan of sweet dishes? Check out the recipe for tagine with olives on our website.
- 2 lbs chicken pieces (legs thighs, or breast cut in 1 inch pieces)
- 0.5 lb dried prunes pitted
- (or apricots or dates)
- 6-8 fresh bread rolls or couscous
- 3 oz toasted almonds optional
- 1 tbsp toasted white sesame optional
You might have
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1-4 tbsp honey or syrup optional
- butter or oil
- salt & pepper
Lahm Lhalou Culinary Spice Kit
-  Ginger, turmeric, black pepper, saffron
-  Cinnamon chips, tea bag: Fill half to all cinnamon chips in the tea bag and close well.
- In a medium POT, heat 2 tbsp butter.
- Add chicken, onions, Tagine Spices , and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 2 cups of water and Tagine Spices . Mix well. Cover with lid.
- Bring to boil. Reduce to medium heat.
- Cook 20 minutes.
- Add prunes. Add honey, salt & pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Cook on low heat about 10 minutes until chicken is cooked and the sauce thickened a bit. Stir occasionally.
- Scoop out Tagine Spices .
- Cook couscous according to package instructions.
- Serve prunes tagine on a big plate with fresh bread rolls or couscous.
- Garnish with almonds and sesame (optional). Enjoy!