Seychellois Pwason Griye
- 1 whole red snapper cleaned and scaled, 2 lbs
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1-2 lime or lemon
- 2 tsp sugar
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1-4 red chili finely chopped
- cooked rice
- fresh salad of your choice
Culinary Spice Kit
- Pouch  tamarind, garlic, ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves
- Pouch  cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, thyme, coriander, white pepper
- In a small POT, heat 1 tbsp oil.
- Add onions and sugar.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add tomatoes, salt to taste, and Pwason Griye  spices.
- Cook over slow heat for about 15 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Let cool.
- In a BOWL, mix garlic, ginger, herbs, Pwason Griye  spices, and 1 tbsp oil.
- Add chili (optional) and salt to taste. Mix well.
- To prepare the fish, cut 3-inch-long parallel deep slits on each side of the fish, each about 1 inch apart.
- Season the fish with salt and fill the slits with the paste.
- Rub all sides of the fish with oil.
- Grill the fish over medium heat for about 20 minutes until it’s cooked. Turn the fish halfway.
- Sprinkle plated fish with lime juice.
- Serve it with rice, chutney, and salad.