CULINARY BUILDING BLOCKS
Cold Fruit Soups
How to Boost Your Creativity
Cold Fruit Soup Basics
Ingredients: 1 lb fruits 1 qt liquid 1 tbsp starch to taste: sweetener, spices & herbs
Steps: 1. prepare fruits 2. cook 3. puree & thicken 4. let it cool
- 1 lb fresh fruits
- 1 qt liquid (water; variation in notes)
- sweetener to taste (see notes)
- 1-2 tbsp starch (see notes)
- spices & herbs to taste (see notes)
Step 1 - Prepare
Remove pits from fruits.
Optionally, set some fruits aside for garnish.
Cut bigger fruits into bit-size chunks.
Step 2 - Cook
In a large POT, add liquid and fruits.
If using sugar, add to taste, starting with 2 tbsp.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
Step 3 - Puree
With a HAND BLENDER, blend fruits into a smooth puree.
Optionally, strain to remove seeds.
If using a liquid sweetener, add to taste. Mix well.
Step 4 - Thicken
Dissolve starch in 2 tbsp cold water.
Add slurry to the POT.
Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Turn off.
Step 5 - Cool
Transfer the soup into a large BOWL and let it cool down.
Then, refrigerate the soup for at least 2-4 hours.
Optionally, substitute up to a half of the water with juice, milk, white wine, or champagne.
The amount of the sweetener depends on the type of fruits and liquid.
A liquid sweetener is easier to add and adjust.
- corn or potato starch
- substitute with 2-4 tsp arrowroot
- skip if using apples or pears
Spices & Herbs
- cinnamon, lemon peel, cardamom, vanilla
- mint, lemon verbena, lemongrass
- pink pepperberries, black pepper, chilies