You can find this trendy street food all over Trinidad & Tobago. The garbanzo bean dish is served on two, overlapping small flatbreads, hence its name “Doubles”. The real deal comes from the toppings. Obligatory is a fruit chow. It’s sour, sweet, salty, and hot at the same time. If you can spare the time, make also the green seasoning for the cucumbers.
- 2 cans garbanzo beans rinsed, (15.5 oz each)
- 1 can pineapple chunks drained (keep the liquid), 20 oz
- 1 bunch cilantro finely chopped
- 1 English cucumber grated
- 8-16 Flat bread of your choice (e.g. naan or Mexican tortilla)
- 5 cloves garlic grated
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1-3 lime for juice
- salt & pepper
Doubles Culinary Spice Kit
- Pouch  cumin, amchoor, turmeric, yellow mustard, curry leaves, fenugreek, onion, ginger, coriander, cayenne, cilantro, garlic, cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon
- Pouch  Scotch bonnet pepper
- In a BOWL, mix the pineapple chunks with 1/4 cup cilantro and half of the garlic.
- Add to taste: pineapples can liquid, lime juice, Doubles  spices, and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and let rest for 1/2-2 hours.
- In a large POT, 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and half of the garlic.
- Fry over medium heat until the shallots turn translucent.
- Add the garbanzo beans and Doubles  spices. Mix well.
- Add 1 1/4 cup of water and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Mash some of the beans with a fork or potato masher.
- Add 1 tbsp cilantro.
- In a PAN, quickly reheat or fry the bread with some oil or heat the tortilla without oil.
- Serve the beans on flatbread, topped with pineapple chow, and cucumber.
- Substitute pineapple with mango,
- Substitute cilantro with parsley or chives.
- Substitute some beans with ground meat.
- Prepare a cucumber chutney with our online recipe.