Turkish Biber Dolması
Aromatic stuffed vegetables are a Turkish specialty. For Biber Dolması, small green bell peppers with thin skin are simmered in a light tomato sauce. The typical filling is a meat and rice mixture seasoned with mint, parsley, and regional dried peppers. This blend features mild and fruity pepper from Aleppo. For a vegetarian version combine raisin and pine nuts with rice. Green bell peppers are rich in vitamin C, just right during the winter season.
- 6 oz ground beef
- 4-5 medium green bell peppers
- 1 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1.5 cups rice rinsed
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 3-5 cups broth e.g. vegetable or beef
- 1 lemon for juice
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Biber Dolması Culinary Spice Kit
- Paprika, Aleppo pepper, mint, cumin, black pepper
Prepare the bell peppers
- Cut off the top and clean out the seeds of each bell pepper.
- In a BOWL, mix onions, Biber Dolması spices, parsley, meat, rice, 2 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Fill the mixture into the bell peppers.
Cook Biber Dolması
- In a POT, that is wide enough to fit just all bell peppers, place filled bell peppers top-up.
- Fill tomato puree and broth around them up to about 2/3 of the height of the bell peppers. Cover the POT.
- Bring broth to boil, turn heat to medium-low, and cook for about 30 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Short grain rice works best.
- If you can find small thin bell peppers, double the number of bell peppers and use a wider pot.
- Substitute beef with lamb, pork, or poultry.
- Substitute meat with 1 cup of raisins and pine nuts.
- Substitute green bell peppers with other colored bell peppers or with zucchini, or mix.