Indian Masoor Dal
No matter the occasion, this easy and fast Indian lentil soup will lighten up your mood. Its aromatic spice blend will cover your home with an exotic breeze and transfer you into a dream of wellness and relaxation. Coconut milk adds a hint of sweetness. Select from plenty of toppings to make it your personal feel-good-favorite.
- 2 cups red lentils well rinsed
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 can coconut milk 13.5 oz
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- oil *
Masoor Dal Culinary Spice Kit
- Cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, lemon verbena, turmeric, white pepper, yellow mustard, chili, coriander
- fresh cilantro or parsley chopped
- coconut flakes
- plain yogurt
- fresh chili sliced
- In a large POT, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and fry until they turn translucent.
- Add garlic and Masoor Dal spices.
- Sauté 30 - 60 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add lentils, 3 cups of water, tomato puree, coconut milk, and salt to taste.
- Cover. Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low. Cook 15 - 20 minutes until the lentils are tender, stirring frequently.
- Serve Masoor Dal in bowls.
- Optionally, top the soup with cilantro, parsley, coconut flakes, raisins, plain yogurt, and/or fresh chili to taste.
* Preferably ghee or coconut oil if available.
- Substitute coconut milk with heavy cream.
- Add cooked chicken and 1 cup chicken broth.