- 1 .25 lbs chicken thighs or breast cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 head garlic smashed or grated
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 1/4 cup vinegar wine or apple cider
- 1 tbsp mustard
- sugar brown recommended
- salt & pepper
- Boiled potatoes, rice, or naan bread
- Roasted cauliflower, cooked peas, or pickles
- Fresh chilies to taste chopped
Culinary Spice Kit
- Cumin, coriander, turmeric, white poppy seeds, cinnamon, cloves, Kashmiri chili
- Season the meat with salt & pepper to taste.
- In a BOWL, combine garlic, ginger, vinegar, mustard, chilies (optinal), and Vindaloo spices.
- Add the meat and mix until all meat is well coated with the marinade.
- Cover and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes to 24 hours.
- In a POT, heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Fry the onions until they turn brown.
- Add meat. Fry the meat for 5 minutes over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Cover the POT. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat. Stir frequently.
- Add 1 tsp sugar and 1 cup of hot water. Mix well.
- Cook for about 30 minutes over medium-low heat until the meat is falling apart. Stir occasionally.
- Add more sugar and/ or vinegar to taste.
- Serve with your preferred sides.
- Optionally, start with 1/8 cup vinegar for the marinade and add more vinegar to taste during the cooking.
- Substitute the chicken with duck or with lamb or pork stew meat. Adjust the cooking time in the last step.
- Substitute the chicken with garbanzo beans and/or cubed vegetables (for instance eggplant, cauliflower, and/or sweet potatoes).