Couscous aux Sept Légumes
‘Couscous with seven vegetables’ is a traditional dish in North African countries and much loved by its visitors. Saffron supports the rich flavor of plenty of fresh vegetables. Don’t worry about the chopping! Luckily, the vegetables are used in a larger size for this dish. Couscous is also cooked with lamb or sheep.
Tfaya like Caramel
A typical topping is Tfaya, caramelized onions, raisins, and cinnamon. With Tfaya, arrange for a longer cooking time.
- If you use chicken breast, cut it in three even parts.
- Optitional vegetables: tomatoes, zucchini, green beans.
- Without meat, substitute water with vegetable broth.
- Substitute couscous with cooked potatoes.
- Add caramelized onions with raisins (Tfaya).
The Couscous Culinary Spice Kit includes the following spices:
 paprika, turmeric, ginger, black pepper, saffron cinnamon, cardamom
North African Couscous aux Sept Légumes
'Couscous with seven vegetables' is a traditional dish in North African countries and much loved by its visitors. Saffron supports the rich flavor of plenty of fresh vegetables. Don't worry about the chopping! Luckily, the vegetables are used in a larger size for this dish. Couscous is also cooked with lamb or sheep. A typical topping is Tfaya, caramelized onions, raisins, and cinnamon. With Tfaya, arrange for a longer cooking time.
- 1 lb chicken pieces with skin or lamb or beef
- 10 oz couscous
- 1/2 small white cabbage quartered
- 0.5 lb pumpkin cut in 2-inch thick pieces
- 0.5 lb carrots cut in half
- 0.5 lb turnips or daikon cut in 8 pieces
- 1/2 bunch parsley or cilantro or mixed finely chopped
You might have
- 1 medium onion halved and sliced
- olive oil
Optional vegetables as (partly) substitutes
- 1 large zucchini halved and cut lengthwise
- 2 tomato/es quartered
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup garbanzo or fava beans (from a can, rinsed)
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 4 medium onions halved and sliced
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1-2 tbsp sugar
Culinary Spice Kit
- Pouch  paprika, turmeric, ginger, black pepper, saffron
- Pouch  cinnamon, cardamom
- In a POT, melt butter.
- Add sliced onions, salt & Couscous Spices  to taste.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to detach the onions.
- Add 2 tbsp of water.
- Cover and cook for about 30 minutes until the onions are soft. Stir occasionally.
- Add raisins and sugar.
- Cover and cook for about 30 minutes until the onions are caramelized. Stir occasionally.
- In a large POT, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Fry meat and onions until the meat turns slightly brown on all sides.
- Add vegetables, salt to taste, and Couscous Spices .
- If you use zucchini, add them after 10 minutes.
- If you use lamb or beef, cook meat in water and spices until it's almost tender, before you add the vegetables.
- Add 2.5 cups of water.
- Cover POT and bring to boil.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the herbs and optionally garbanzo beans and/or raisins and Couscous Spices  to taste. Mix well.
- Continue to cook for about 5-10 minutes until all ingredients are soft but not mashed.
- Prepare couscous according to package instructions.
- On a large plate, serve stew over couscous.
- Optionally, top with Tfaya.