- 4 oz cod* or chicken breast optional
- 1 cup great northern beans**
- 1 small zucchini about 4 oz
- 4 oz pumpkin/squash
- 2 oz green cabbage
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels cooked
- 1 cup green peas cooked
- 1 plantain sliced (optional)
- 1 bunch cilantro or parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk any type
- 2 oz heavy cream/cream cheese/feta***
- 1 cup broth vegetable or chicken
- 1 tbsp peanut butter****
- salt & pepper
Fanesca Culinary Spice Kit
- Annatto, garlic, cumin, oregano, basil
Optional for Toppings
- 1 large avocado sliced
- 1 medium onion sliced and pickled in lime juice*****
- 3 hard-boiled eggs sliced
- In a small POT, add zucchini, pumpkin, cabbage, broth, and salt to taste.
- Cook over medium heat until soft. Let it cool.
- Blend it into a smooth puree.
- In a medium POT, add butter, chopped onions, and Fanesca spices.
- Fry over low-med. heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add puree, milk, peanut butter, corn, peas, beans, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook over low-medium heat 30 minutes. Stir frequently.
Optional Soup Ingredients
- Cut cod or chicken into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Add all or 1/3 of it to the soup. Cook until tender.
- Add heavy cream, cream cheese, queso fresco, or feta to taste. Mix well.
- In a PAN, heat oil or butter and fry until tender and brown:
- (a) any remaining cod or chicken;
- (b) plantain slices, sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Top fanesca with plantain, avocado, herbs, eggs, pickled onions, pumpkin seeds, and fried cod or chicken.