Mexican Tacos Al Pastor
- 1.25 lb thin pork chops or tenderloin cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 can pineapple slices or a fresh fruit
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 medium onion quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/8 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt & pepper
Suggested Sides & Toppings
- 12 tortillas, sandwich, or flatbread
- 1 cup cilantro or parsley chopped
- 2-4 limes for juice
- 2 avocados
Culinary Spice Kit
- Annatto, ancho chili, pasilla chili, cumin, allspice, oregano, cloves
- In a BLENDER, mix onion, garlic, vinegar, and 1 tbsp oil into a smooth paste.
- Rub meat with salt & pepper to taste.
- In a CONTAINER, mix onion paste with Tacos al Pastor spices, sugar, a pinch of salt, and tomato paste.
- Rub the onion spice paste into the meat until evenly coated.
- Cover and let marinate in the fridge for 2 -24 hours.
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Fry 4 pineapple slices until browned.
- Take out. Set aside.
- In the same PAN, fry the meat slices on both sides for 1 minute.
- Take out and let cool.
- Cut the meat slices into thin strips and the pineapple slices into bite-size pieces.
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over high heat.
- Fry meat strips for 30-60 seconds until just done.
- Serve meat strips, pineapple, and tortillas separately. Optionally, add avocado slices, guacamole*, salsa verde*, or a pineapple sauce*.