Mexican Mole Chicken
Dark mole is a sauce made from several chile peppers, nuts, and chocolate. It is usually labor-intensive and time-consuming. This recipe is a delicious shortcut with popular Ancho chile and true cacao. Ancho chile is a very mild chile type. Unlike the common, roasted cocoa, cacao is pure chocolate and higher in minerals.
- 1.25 lbs chicken thighs or breast cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup peas and diced carrots frozen
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup rice
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt & pepper
Culinary Spice Kit
- Ancho chile, cacao, Mexican oregano, cinnamon
- Season chicken with salt & pepper to taste.
- In a POT, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium-low heat and cook onions until they turn slightly brown.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, and bell pepper.
- Cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add chicken. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, vinegar, sugar, nut butter, and Mole spices. Mix well. Cover. Bring to a boil.
- Cook 30 minutes over low heat. Take chicken out when cooked. Shred-it with 2 forks and return it to the sauce.
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- In a SMALL POT, cook peas & carrots with 2 tbsp butter 5 minutes over low heat. Add salt to taste.
- Mix them into the cooked rice.
- Serve mole chicken with rice and sprinkle sesame seeds over the sauce.
Notes/ Variations ▪ Substitute chicken with any ground meat or with 2 cans beans (pinto, kidney and/or black beans). ▪ Substitute green with red bell pepper. ▪ Substitute almond butter with hazelnut butter or cashew butter.