Mexican Mole Chicken
The dark mole sauce is made with several chili peppers, nuts, and chocolate. It is such a fabulous combination. Think of a chocolate bar with nuts and chili flavor. Preparing the mole sauce is usually labor-intensive and time-consuming. This recipe is a delicious shortcut with three important ingredients: ancho chili, pasilla chili, and raw cacao. Unlike the common roasted cocoa, cacao is pure chocolate and higher in minerals.
- 1.25 lbs chicken thighs or breast cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup peas and diced carrots frozen**
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 cup almond*** butter raw, unsalted
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sugar brown recommended
- 3 cups cooked rice
- salt & pepper
Mole Culinary Spice Kit
- Pouch  Cacao, oregano, cinnamon
- Pouch  Ancho chili, pasilla chili
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- sour cream
- tortillas for variation
- Season chicken with salt & pepper to taste.
- In a POT, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium-low heat.
- Cook onions until they turn slightly brown. Stir occasionally.
- Add garlic. Stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, vinegar, nut butter, tomato paste, sugar, and Mole  spices. Mix well.
- Cover. Bring to a boil.
- Cook 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add Mole  spices to taste. Mix well.
- Cook 30 minutes over low heat.
- Stir occasionally.
- In a SMALL POT, cook peas & carrots in 2 tbsp butter 5 minutes** over low heat.
- Add salt to taste. Add the cooked rice. Mix well.
- Serve mole chicken with rice.
- Alternatively, serve mole sauce as enmoladas****.
- Optionally, sprinkle with sesame seeds and drizzle with sour cream. Enjoy!
Notes/ Variations * Substitute chicken with any ground meat or with 2 cans beans with our online recipe. ** If you prefer fresh vegetables, cook them longer with a little added water. *** Substitute with hazelnut or cashew butter. **** Alternative: Reheat tortillas. Fill them with the chicken. Roll them up. Pour mole sauce on top.