5 Spiced Side Dishes For Your Holiday Dinner
potato dumplings with a surprise,
- holiday spiced red cabbage,
- and spiced cranberry sauce.
Tip: Place the apples into the BAKING DISH with your turkey or other holiday feast about 30 minutes before the meat is cooked.
- 6 large apples
- 3 tbsp rum
- 1/2 cup nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts or
your favorite nut), chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Preheat OVEN to 400°.
- Cut the top of the apples and set aside. Core apples, but leave the bottom closed. Scoop out apple pulp to get enough space for the filling.
- In a CUP, mix rum with nuts, raisins (optional), 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 tsp butter and spices.
- Fill apples with mixture. Cover with tops.
- Make a few holes in the peel with a fork.
- Place the apples in a greased BAKING DISH.
- Bake apples for about 30 minutes, depending how firm or soft you want your apples.
Tip: Make the dumplings ahead of time and freeze them, so they’ll be ready when you need them on the big day.
Special Holiday Dishes
Holiday Spiced Red Cabbage
- 1 lb red cabbages, thinly cut
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- salt to taste
1 orange and/or 1 apple, peeled
- In a POT, mix cabbage with , lemon juice, red wine, and spices. Mix well.
- Optionally, add apple and/or orange, cut into bit size pieces
- Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook over low heat for about 30 minutes until the cabbage is tender.
Roasted or Glazed Chestnuts
Ingredients for glazed chestnuts
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 1 lb chestnuts, shelled
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 dash cardamom
- 1 dash allspice
- salt to taste
Instructions for glazed chestnuts
- In a small POT, melt butter.
- Add brown sugar and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Add chestnuts, broth, and spices.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes until the chestnuts are cooked. Stir occasionally.