South African Bobotie
The origin of this popular South African is unknown. Bobotie was most likely influenced by the Malaysian and Dutch cuisine. This creamy meat pie balances a sweet-sour-spicy flavor.
Special with Lemon Thyme
The fresh lime leaves from the authentic recipe are usually substituted with bay leaves. Lemon thyme comes closer to the authentic flavor and fills the kitchen with a fragrant smell.
Apricot Ginger Chutney
1 cup dried apricots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 inch ginger, finely chopped or grated
1/4 cup white vinegar
Optional: sugar to taste
In a small POT, heat 1 tbsp oil.
Fry 1 onion on medium heat until golden.
Add apricots, ginger, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1 cup water, sugar + salt to taste.
Cover and cook over low heat for 30-60 min.
The Bobotie Culinary Spice Kit includes the following spices:
- Add chopped almonds and/ or 1 oz raisins to the meat.
- Substitute meat with lentils or chopped mushrooms.
- Garnish with fresh leaves (bay, curry, or basil).
- Add an apricot-ginger-chutney as a side (see recipe above).
South African Bobotie
- 1.5 lbs ground lamb or beef or mixed
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 cups rice
You might have
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- white vinegar
- butter & oil
- salt & pepper
Culinary Spice Kit
- Pouch  Amchoor, yellow mustard, curry leaves, fenugreek, onion, ginger, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, cumin, cilantro, garlic, cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon
- Pouch  Nutmeg. turmeric, lemon thyme
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- In a PAN, heat 1 tbsp butter.
- Fry onions over medium heat until golden.
- Add meat, salt to taste, and Bobotie Spices .
- Stir-fry meat until it is crumbled and cooked.
- In a CUP, whisk 1 egg and mix it with a 1/2 cup of milk.
- Add it, sugar, and almonds to the meat. Mix well.
- Stir in vinegar and lime juice. Adjust salt. Fill into a non-sticking BAKING DISH.
- Preheat the OVEN to 350°F.
- In a BOWL, whisk 2 eggs.
- Mix it with 1 cup of milk, salt to taste, and Bobotie Spices .
- Pour mixture over the meat.
- Bake in the OVEN for 30-40 minutes until topping is no longer liquid and turned slightly brown.
- Serve with rice, and optional chutney and/ or a salad of your choice.