B’stilla, also called pastilla, is a savory-sweet pie with precious saffron in a crisp phyllo-style wrapping. It’s an indispensable menu item on festive occasions like weddings.
Formerly made with pigeons, today one of the most popular versions is filled with chicken and almonds. Alternatively, go for the simple stew version or the Chicken Olives Tagine recipe.
The B'stilla Culinary Spice Kit includes the following spices:
Ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, saffron
Substitute sugar with 1/3 cup soft dried prunes or apricots, finely sliced.
Alternative simple stew version:
Follow only the step under Fillings #2 until the chicken is cooked. Mix 1-2 tbsp almond butter into the sauce and serve over couscous or potatoes.
Alternatively, use the B’stilla spices for the Chicken Olives Tagine recipe here.
- 1.5 lb chicken breast or thighs
- cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 oz phyllo dough filo, 20 sheets
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 eggs whisked
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup ground roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- salt & pepper
- powdered sugar cinnamon, whole almonds
Culinary Spice Kit
- ginger black pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, saffron
- #1 - Mix almonds with sugar. Set aside.
- #2 - In a POT, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add onions and fry until translucent. Add chicken, parsley, B’stilla spices, and salt to taste. Stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of water. Cook for about 20 minutes until the chicken is soft. Take chicken out. Continue to cook the sauce uncovered over medium-low heat until no liquid is left. Stir in eggs and cook for about 2 minutes. Adjust salt & pepper to taste. Turn off.
- #3 - Let chicken cool, then shred it.
- Cover a PIE DISH with overlapping phyllo sheets and about 1 inch hanging over the edges of the dish. Add layers of the fillings: #2 (sauce), #3 (meat), #1 (almond-sugar). Cover with overlapping phyllo sheets. Spread a thin layer of butter on top.
- Preheat OVEN to 350°F.
- Bake B’stilla for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve & enjoy!