- 1.5 lb chicken breast or thighs
- cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 oz phyllo dough filo, 20 sheets
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 eggs whisked
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup ground roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- salt & pepper
- powdered sugar cinnamon, whole almonds
Culinary Spice Kit
- ginger black pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, saffron
- #1 - Mix almonds with sugar. Set aside.
- #2 - In a POT, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add onions and fry until translucent. Add chicken, parsley, B’stilla spices, and salt to taste. Stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of water. Cook for about 20 minutes until the chicken is soft. Take chicken out. Continue to cook the sauce uncovered over medium-low heat until no liquid is left. Stir in eggs and cook for about 2 minutes. Adjust salt & pepper to taste. Turn off.
- #3 - Let chicken cool, then shred it.
- Cover a PIE DISH with overlapping phyllo sheets and about 1 inch hanging over the edges of the dish. Add layers of the fillings: #2 (sauce), #3 (meat), #1 (almond-sugar). Cover with overlapping phyllo sheets. Spread a thin layer of butter on top.
- Preheat OVEN to 350°F.
- Bake B’stilla for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve & enjoy!
▪ Substitute sugar with 1/3 cup soft dried prunes or apricots, finely sliced. ▪ Alternative simple stew version: Follow only the step under Fillings #2 until the chicken is cooked. Mix 1-2 tbsp almond butter into the sauce and serve over couscous or potatoes. ▪ Alternatively, use the B’stilla spices for the Chicken Olives Tagine recipe here.