Kashmiri Rogan Josh
Rogan Josh is a signature dish from the cold mountain region of Kashmir. The preparation of this stew is as easy as it can get. The complex spice blend creates a deep flavor and intense color. We recommend using a good amount of chili. Authentic Kashmiri chilies are the best choice. They are less hot than cayenne pepper and color the dish pleasantly red. The use of tomatoes is optional and up to you.
- 1.25 lb lamb stew or chicken thighs cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup yogurt plain
Rogan Josh Culinary Spice Kit
- Fennel, cardamom, asafoetida, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, coriander, black pepper, cloves, mace
- Fresh chili sliced or Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- basmati rice cooked
- Flatbread naan, roti, or baguette
- cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, or green beans steamed or cooked
- Coleslaw, pickled vegetables, or a fresh salad
- In a CONTAINER, add Rogan Josh spices.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil or a bit more and stir until it’s a smooth paste.
- Add meat, mix well. Cover. Let marinate 24 hours in the fridge.
- In a large POT, heat 2 tbsp oil over high heat.
- Add meat and fry until it’s browned on all sides. Stir frequently.
- Add salt to taste, chili (opt.), and 1/2 cup of water.
- Cover. Let cook over low heat until the meat is tender and falls apart.
- Stir occasionally and add a bit of water if necessary.
- In a CUP, mix yogurt with 2 tbsp of the hot liquid from the POT.
- Stir this mixture back into the POT.
- Optionally, add broth.
- Let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with your preferred sides.
- Substitute meat with beef, mutton, or goat stew.
- Substitute meat with diced eggplant and (sweet) potatoes. Skip the marinade. Add spices with the salt.
- Substitute yogurt with heavy cream or coconut milk.
- Optionally, add one chopped tomato after the meat is browned and fry for a couple of minutes.