Kashmiri Rogan Josh
Rogan Josh is a signature dish from the mountain region of Kashmir. The preparation of this stew is as easy as it can get. The complex spice blend creates a rich flavor and intense color. We recommend using a good amount of chili; Kashmiri chilies are the best choice. They are less hot than cayenne pepper and color the dish pleasantly red
- 1.25 lb lamb stew or chicken thighs cut into 1-inch pieces
Fresh Produce - Optional
- 1 medium tomato chopped (optional)
- 1-2 fresh chilies sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup yogurt plain
- 0.5-1.5 cups broth beef, chicken, or vegetable
- salt & pepper
Rogan Josh Culinary Spice Kit
- fennel, cardamom, asafoetida, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, coriander, black pepper, cloves, mace
- steamed or cooked basmati rice
- bread naan, roti, or baguette
- steamed or cooked broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, or zucchini
- coleslaw, pickled vegetables, or a fresh salad
- In a CONTAINER, add Rogan Josh spices.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil or a bit more and stir until it’s a smooth paste.
- Add meat and mix well.
- Cover and let it marinate for 24 hours in the fridge.
- In a large POT, heat 2 tbsp oil over high heat.
- Add meat and fry until it’s browned on all sides. Stir frequently.
- Optionally, add tomato and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add salt to taste, chili (optional), and 1/2 cup of broth.
- Cover and let it cook over low heat until the meat is tender and falls apart.
- Stir occasionally and add a bit of broth if necessary.
- In a CUP, mix yogurt with 2 tbsp of the hot liquid from the POT.
- Stir this mixture back into the POT. Optionally, add the remaining broth.
- Let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with your preferred sides.
 Substitute lamb with beef, mutton, or goat stew.  Substitute meat with diced eggplant and (sweet) potatoes. Skip the marinade step. Add the Rogan Josh spices with the salt.  Substitute yogurt with heavy cream or coconut milk.