Filipino Chicken Inasal
Chicken Inasal from the Filipino City of Bacolod has an earthy-peppery taste with a hint of nutmeg and a slight citrus flavor. The key ingredient is annatto or achiote powder. This spice from the "lipstick tree" colors the chicken orange-red and is very popular in Latin and Filipino cooking.
- 1.25 lb chicken tenders, thighs, or breast cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-3 lime or lemon for juice
- soy sauce or tamari
- salt & pepper
For the Marinade
- 2 cloves garlic peeled, crushed
- 2 tbsp sugar brown or white
- 3 tbsp vinegar white
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the Salad
- 2 mango ripe but firm, diced
- 3 medium tomatoes diced
- Jasmine rice ,
- chili vinegar dipping sauce see notes
- pickled vegetables see notes
Inasal Culinary Spice Kit
- Annatto, lemongrass, ginger, lime peel
- Season chicken with salt & pepper to taste.
- In a BOWL, mix Inasal spices with the ingredients for the marinade and 2 tbsp lime juice.
- Add chicken. Mix well. Cover.
- Let marinate in the fridge for 3-24 hours.
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat.
- Fry the chicken pieces on both sides until they are cooked.
- Take chicken out. Cover. Let rest 5 minutes.
- In a BOWL, mix 1 tbsp lime juice, 1 tbsp soy sauce, and 1 tbsp oil.
- Add mango and tomatoes. Mix well.
- Season with salt & pepper and sugar (opt.) to taste.
- Serve the chicken with your preferred sides.
- Substitute chicken with sirloin beef or pork tenderloin or cutlets.
- Optional: Add a chili vinegar dipping sauce or pickled vegetables (go to recipes).