The cabbage salad aka coleslaw is popular all over the world in many local variations. Bell pepper and thyme are characteristic for the Caribbean version,
- 1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, finely diced
- 0.5-1 cup frozen corn kernel, defrosted
- 1-1.5 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 or more chili pepper, preferably scotch bonnet or habanero, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp agave syrup or honey
- Substitute 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with yogurt or crème fraiche.
Vegan without mayonnaise
- 2 limes for the juice
- 1 tbsp peanut or olive oil
- In a SALAD BOWL, mix mayonnaise (vegan: lime juice and oil) with spices and optional sweetener.
- Add cabbage and carrots and mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- For the vegan version, let it rest in the fridge for 24 hours.