Who doesn't love chicken nuggets? Discover this Austrian take on the all-time favorite with thin chicken slices. The breading includes mustard, a variety of herbs, including tarragon and lemon verbena, finished with a hint of lemon and nutmeg. Serve the Kräuterbackhendl with a tartar-like dipping sauce, and give potato-rutabaga salad a try (see notes).
- 1 lb chicken breast *) cut horizontal
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole grain flour **)
- 1 cup bread crumbs **)
- 4 oz sour cream ***)
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1 pickle finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- 1 lemon for juice
- salt & pepper
Kräuterbackhendl Culinary Spice Kit
- Onions, rosemary, savory, oregano, thyme, lemon verbena, tarragon, lime peel, nutmeg
- Boiled potatoes or French fries
- Cooked cauliflower, white asparagus, or kohlrabi; or frozen mixed vegetables (cooked in some water and butter).
- Fresh baby spinach and crumbled bacon.
- Potato-rutabaga salad see recipe link in the notes
Dipping Sauce ***)
- In a BOWL, mix sour cream with 1 tsp mustard.
- Add pickle and chives. Mix well.
- Season to taste with salt, and lemon juice.
- Optionally, add a dash of sugar.
- Season dry thin chicken slices with salt & pepper to taste.
- In a BOWL, mix eggs with Kräuterbackhendl spices, 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp oil, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Prepare on 3 PLATES, one each for the flour, egg mixture, and bread crumbs.
- With a fork, dip 1 chicken slice at a time in the flour. Shake off any excess.
- Next dip it in the egg mixture, then coat it with bread crumbs.
- In a PAN, heat oil over medium heat.
- Fry chicken slices for about 5 minutes, turning halfway. Don't crowd the PAN.
- Serve the chicken with the dipping sauce and your preferred sides.
*) Substitute with fish fillet, or pork or veal cutlets. **) Substitute with nut flour and ground nuts. ***) Substitute sour cream with 3 oz crème fraîche & 1 oz buttermilk, or add 1 tbsp chopped capers. Potato-rutabaga salad recipe