Austrian Potato Rutabaga Salad
- 1 lb potatoes boiled, cut into 0.25 inch slices
- 0.5 lbs rutabaga or turnip cut into 0.25 inch slices
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 0.5 bunch fresh parsley or dill chopped
- 0.5 cup broth poultry or vegetable
- 4 tbsp white vinegar wine or apple cider
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt & pepper
- In a large BOWL, mix 2 tbsp vinegar, 3 tbsp broth, oil, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Add shallots and potatoes and let marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a PAN, heat the sugar over low heat until light brown.
- Add the rutabaga or turnips and mix well.
- Add the remaining vinegar and broth.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and add to the potato salad. Mix well.
- Let rest for 30 - 60 minutes.
- Add fresh herbs. Mix well.
- Serve with Kräuterbackhendl (see notes).
Austrian Kräuterbackhendl recipe