Kenyan Sukuma Wiki
- 1 lb collard greens, kale, or chard cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 lemon for juice
- salt & pepper
Culinary Spice Kit
- 1 pouch Coriander, green bell pepper, smoked paprika, carrot, onion, tomato, spinach, celery stalk, red bell pepper, chili, cumin, turmeric, garlic, curry leaves, fenugreek, cilantro, ginger, yellow mustard, cinnamon, cardamom, black peppercorn
- Ugali(a polenta-like dish) see recipe in notes
- Beans (kidney or pinto) cooked or fried, see recipe link in notes
- Chicken or beef (good to use up leftovers) fried or stewed
Stew - 1. Fry Aroma-Veggies
- In a large POT, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Fry the onions until they turn golden brown, stirring frequently.
Stew - 2. Add Spices
- Add the tomatoes and Sukuma Wiki spices. Mix well.
- Cook until it turns into a paste-like mixture. Stir frequently.
Stew - 3. Add Main Veggies & Water
- Add the greens one handful at a time, stirring constantly.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Add 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook for 15 to 30 minutes, until the greens are tender. Stir occasionally. Add a little water if necessary. Turn off the heat.
- Add 1-2 tbsp lemon juice and mix well.
- Optionally, garnish the plated dish with fresh chopped tomatoes.
- 1 cup of corn flour
- In a POT, bring 2 cups of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add corn flour. Reduce heat to low.
- Stir constantly, while pressing the mixture to the sides of the POT to remove any lumps.
- If there are no more lumps, stop stirring and let it cook for about 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Form the mixture into a round shape by bringing together the dough from the sides of the POT to the mixture. Turn the POT over on top of a flat plate
- If need be, the ugali can be cut into smaller chunks.
Enter the Culinary World
Be Inspired | Explore your boundaries and creativity