Turkish Urfa Kebab
Urfa Kebab has a chocolate aroma with mild heat from Urfa pepper. Both can be widely found in Southern Turkey. The irregular shaped flakes of Urfa biber, also known as Isot pepper, are a versatile condiment that can be sprinkled on cheese, salad, or vegetables of any kind for a new distinct flavor. They might become a favorite condiment in your kitchen.
- 1 lb ground meat e.g. lamb or beef
- 1/2 yellow or orange bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 2 cups yogurt plain
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 lemon for juice
Urfa Kebab Culinary Spice Kit
- Urfa biber flakes
- lettuce of your choice shredded
- flatbread e.g. pita or lavash or cooked rice
- Mix yogurt with 1-2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp oil, and a pinch of salt.
- In a large BOWL, add bell pepper, tomatoes, parsley, garlic, Urfa Kebab spices, and salt to taste (1 tsp recommended).
- It’s best when all ingredients are very finely chopped.
- However, don’t use a food processor to avoid making a paste.
- Mix well. Add meat.
- Knead thoroughly for 5-10 minutes.
- Wrap 2 tbsp of meat tightly around each skewer.
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat.
- Fry kebab until crisp and cooked through.
- Serve kebab in bread or with rice and topped with lettuce and yogurt sauce.
*If using wooden skewers, soak them for 30 minutes. Vegetarian:
- Substitute meat with 2 additional tomatoes.
- Spread mixture on prepared pizza dough and bake according to package instructions.
- Serve pizza with yogurt sauce.