Spanish Paella Valenciana
Spaniards take the authenticity of Paella very serious. They even criticize renowned chefs for creative variations. The authentic Paella Valenciana is made with chicken and rabbit. Our variations offer chicken or the popular seafood version. Mussels, cooked in white wine and garlic, can be an additional topping. The spice kit includes saffron, the most expensive spice in the world. Small amounts carry an intensive flavor.
- 1.5 lbs chicken thighs or breast (cut into 2-inches cubes)
- 2 cups Arborio or any short grain rice
- 4 oz butter beans, Edamame, white kidney or fava beans (cooked)
- 4 oz snap or snow peas
- 4-5 cups stock (chicken or fish)
- 1-2 lemons
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped or grated)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced, fried)
Culinary Spice Kit
-  Paprika, rosemary, onions, turmeric, roasted chili, smoked paprika, bay leaves
-  Spanish saffron
- 1 bay leave (add leave in whole)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 0.5 tsp cayenne (optional)
- In a CUP, mix Paella  spices with 1 tbsp hot water. Set aside for at least 20 minutes.
- In a PAN*, heat olive oil.
- Over medium-high heat, fry meat sprinkled with salt & pepper to taste until all sides turn nicely brown.
- Push meat to the edges.
- In the center of the PAN, add the vegetables and fry until they turn slightly brown.
- Mix them with the meat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and fry for about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and Paella  spices. Stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add stock, the Paella  spices-water-mixture, and salt & pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Distribute rice throughout the PAN and make sure that the rice is covered with stock.
- Bring to boil. Do not stir again!
- Simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- After 10 minutes, cover the PAN with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Turn the heat off.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fried bell pepper.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
▪ Substitute half of the chicken with rabbit or pork.
▪ Substitute meat with snapper, halibut, or mahi mahi, and vegetables with large shrimp. Take shrimp out after 2 min. Return on top before covering the pan.
▪ Substitute meat with 4 oz artichokes and 1/2 green and red bell pepper, and use vegetable stock.
*Recommended: Paella or large skillet pan.