Sichuan Gong Bao
Gong Bao is a classic, spicy dish originated in the Sichuan Province in Southwest China, named after a former governor of Sichuan. Unlike the westernized version, also known as Kung Bao, it's signature spice is Sichuan peppercorn. Don't be surprised. This pepper is not hot but causes a slight numbing sensation on the tongue. Add fresh chili pepper to taste for the desired heat.
- 1.25 lbs chicken breast or tenders
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small zucchini
- 6 green onions
- 0.5 cup peanuts or cashews roasted
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dry sherry or cooking wine
- 0.25 cup chicken broth or stock
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- corn- or potato starch
- salt & pepper
Gong Bao Culinary Spice Kit
- Garlic, ginger, Sichuan pepper (don’t use during pregnancy), mild chili pepper
- cooked or steamed rice
- long noodles
- Cut chicken into 0.5-inch cubes. In a CONTAINER, mix 2 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp sherry.
- Add chicken and mix well. Cover. Keep in the fridge overnight. Stir halfway.
- In a CUP, mix 2 tbsp sugar, Gong Bao spices, 1 tbsp starch, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 3 tbsp vinegar, 0.25 cup broth, and 2 tsp oil.
- Optionally, add sweetness and chili peppers to your taste. Set aside.
- Cut vegetables into 0.5-inch pieces.
- Keep the chopped green part of the onions aside.
- In a large PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over high heat until right before smoking.
- Mix chicken with 2 tbsp starch. Add it to the PAN and stir-fry until it's slightly brown.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add vegetables. Fry until all ingredients are tender.
- Stir the sauce well and add it to the PAN.
- Stir and toss until the sauce thickens.
- Lastly, stir in the nuts (optional).
- Serve with your preferred side and sprinkle with the green parts of the onions.
- Substitute chicken with boneless pork chops, beef sirloin, shrimp, tempeh, or tofu.
- Substitute vegetables with bok choy, leek, bamboo shoots, or shredded root vegetables.
Serving: 207gSodium: 789mgSugar: 4.8gFiber: 6.4gCalories: 317kcalMonounsaturated Fat: 6.7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2.7gSaturated Fat: 3.6gFat: 14.6gProtein: 10gCarbohydrates: 39.4g