Seychellois Kari Koko
The Seychelles Islands extend over 115 isles in the Indian Ocean. This Creole dish from the smallest African country is served with a fresh-fruity salad and rice. Optionally, add "Ladob", sweet potatoes cooked in spiced coconut milk.
- 1.25 lb chicken breast or thighs cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can coconut milk 13.5 - 15 oz
- 2 cup rice
- 2 sour apple grated
- 1 cup grated carrots or turnips
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 1-2 lemons for juice
- salt & pepper
Culinary Spice Kit
- turmeric, cinnamon, coriander, onion, chili, cumin, garlic, curry leaves, fenugreek, ginger, yellow mustard, cardamom, black pepper
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Mix apples, carrots, and/or turnips.
- Add to taste: lemon juice, salt & pepper.
- Add 1 tbsp oil. Mix well.
- Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- In a POT, heat 1 tbsp oil. Fry onions until translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger, and Kari Koko Spices. Stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add chicken and salt to taste. Stir-fry 3 minutes.
- Mix in coconut milk. Cook about 20-30 minutes over medium-low heat, until the chicken is cooked and the sauce thickened. Stir occasionally.
- Serve Kari Koko over rice with the salad or green papaya chutney (see notes).
- Optionally, add the ladob side dish (see notes).