Kari Koko - Seychellois Coconut Curry
Coconut curries are preferred dinner dishes on the Seychelles Islands. Very popular are the octopus and chicken curries. This recipe for a one-pot chicken curry dish with three sides: a fresh-fruity salad, rice, and “Ladob”.
Nutmeg Creates a Coconut Heaven
Ladob is a side made from sweet potatoes cooked in coconut milk. You can substitute sweet potatoes with plantains or banana. This dish is spiced with nutmeg and cinnamon.
Our tip: If you are too busy to make all for one dinner, save the Ladob for a dish with grilled fish. Or go for a Ladob banana dessert. Just add 1/2 cup of sugar or agave syrup and optional vanilla powder.
- Substitute chicken with veal or fish filet.
- Eggplant is a great substitute for a vegetarian coconut curry.
- Add a green papaya chutney (see recipe below).
The Kari Koko Culinary Spice Kit includes the following spices:
Turmeric, cinnamon, coriander, onion, chili, cumin, garlic, curry leaves, fenugreek, ginger, yellow mustard, cardamom, black pepper
- 1 green papaya (unripe)
- 1 onion
- 1 lime for juice
- oil, salt & pepper
- Optional: 1 chili pepper
- Finely grate papaya.
- Halve and finely slice onion.
- In a BOWL, mix papaya with 1 tsp salt. Set aside for 10 minutes. Drain and squeeze all liquid out.
- In a PAN, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat and fry onions until they turn translucent.
- Optionally, add finely sliced chilies and fry for one minute.
- Add papaya and continue to fry for about 5 minutes, until the papaya is tender.
- Season to taste with lime juice, salt & pepper.
Seychellois Kari Koko
The Seychelles Islands extend over 115 isles in the Indian Ocean. This Creole dish from the smallest African country is served with a fresh-fruity salad and rice. Optionally, add "Ladob", sweet potatoes cooked in spiced coconut milk.
- 1.25 lb chicken breast or thighs cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can coconut milk 13.5 - 15 oz
- 2 cup rice
- 2 sour apple grated
- 1 cup grated carrots or turnips
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 1-2 lemons for juice
- salt & pepper
Culinary Spice Kit
- turmeric, cinnamon, coriander, onion, chili, cumin, garlic, curry leaves, fenugreek, ginger, yellow mustard, cardamom, black pepper
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Mix apples, carrots, and/or turnips.
- Add to taste: lemon juice, salt & pepper.
- Add 1 tbsp oil. Mix well.
- Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- In a POT, heat 1 tbsp oil. Fry onions until translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger, and Kari Koko Spices. Stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add chicken and salt to taste. Stir-fry 3 minutes.
- Mix in coconut milk. Cook about 20-30 minutes over medium-low heat, until the chicken is cooked and the sauce thickened. Stir occasionally.
- Serve Kari Koko over rice with the salad or green papaya chutney (see notes).
- Optionally, add the ladob side dish (see notes).
▪ Substitute chicken with veal, fish fillet, or eggplant. See also the following recipes: ▪ ladob side dish or dessert ▪ green papaya chutney