Russian Boeuf Stroganoff
This recipe is a new twist on Bœuf Stroganoff with a juniper-cacao based spice blend. It’s best with wide noodles, mushrooms, and beef. Optional, substitute one or all. Or add the sauce to a mushroom casserole with green beans or potatoes. Pink peppercorns are best when added at the end of cooking or sprinkled on the finished meal. Their flavor pairs perfectly with juniper.
- 1 lb beef sirloin cut in ½ stripes
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1/8 cup red wine
- 8 oz sour cream or heavy cream
- 8 oz wide noodles of your choice cooked
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic shopped
- 1 orange for juice
- vegetable oil
- salt & pepper
Optional for Garnish
- parsley or chives chopped
Boeuf Stroganoff Culinary Spice Kit
- Pouch  Juniper, roasted cacao, black pepper, allspice, cinnamon, cloves
- Pouch  Pink peppercorns
- On a PLATE, season beef with salt & pepper to taste.
- Add flour. Toss and turn the beef until it is covered on all sides with a thin layer of flour.
- In a large PAN, heat 2 tbsp of oil until sizzling.
- Fry the beef for about 2-3 minutes, until it’s slightly brown but not fully cooked.
- Transfer the beef to a PLATE. Cover.
- In the same PAN, heat 1 tbsp of oil.
- Fry onions over medium heat until translucent.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, and Stroganoff  spices.
- Cook over medium heat until the mushrooms are almost cooked.
- Add wine and cook until it’s evaporated.
- Add orange juice and cream.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn off!
- Return beef and stir to quickly reheat.
- Serve sauce over noodles.
- Sprinkle with Stroganoff  spices to taste and fresh herbs (optional).
- Substitute beef with veal, pork, chicken, or turkey.
- Substitute beef or mushrooms with green beans or green asparagus. Add them with onions and fry until they are tender.
- Substitute noodles with 2 cups of rice.