Réunionese Rougail Saucisses
This dish is one of the most well-known specialties from the cultural melting pot La Réunion, one of five French oversea regions. Less than 1 Million people live on the small tropical island in the Indian Ocean between Madagascar and Mauritius. Rougail saucisses is made preferably with spicy smoked sausages or chicken. Take a moment to smell the distinctive makrut lime leaves.
- 1 lb smoked sausages e.g. Andouille or vegan
- 1 lettuce of your choice sliced
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 orange for juice
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1-2 fresh chilies
- 1 cup vegetables of your choice e. g.
- bell pepper broccoli, zucchini,
- all finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
Rougail Culinary Spice Kit
- Pouch  Thyme, turmeric, ginger, bay leaves
- Pouch  Makrut lime leaves
- Mix 1 tbsp orange juice with salt & pepper to taste.
- Add 1 tbsp oil. Mix or shake well.
- Toss dressing over lettuce.
- Prick each sausage 2 times with a fork.
- In a POT, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add sausages and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the sausages. Let cool.
- Cut them into 1/2-inch slices. Set aside.
- In a POT, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Fry onions until translucent.
- Add garlic, carrots, and sausages.
- Optionally, add chilies and other vegetables.
- Fry 5-10 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add tomatoes, salt & pepper to taste, and Rougail  spices. Mix well.
- Cover. Cook 20 minutes over low heat. Stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle Rougail  spices to taste over plated Rougail or salad.
- Substitute sausages with chicken breast or thighs (cut into 1/2 inch pieces) or 1 can Kidney beans (rinsed) and skip the ‘Prepare Sausages’ step.