Khoresh Fesenjan is one of the best dishes of the Persian cuisine and part of the dinner table on Shabe Yalda when families come together to celebrate the longest night of the year and the beginning of the winter. Walnuts and pomegranates give this stew its characteristic flavor: creamy richness with a tangy flavor and a hint of sweetness.
Patience is Key
The shopping list is short and the cooking steps are simple. It can be cooked fast. Though, the heavenly taste sensation develops only with patience.
Pomegranate Molasses DIY
Pomegranate molasses is easy to make at home from store bought pomegranate juice:
Cook 4 cups of pomegranate juice (100%) with 2 tbsp sugar over low heat for about 2 hours until it reduces to 1 cup of thick syrup. Stir frequently.
For a change, you can substitute pomegranate juice with cranberry juice.
- Substitute chicken with duck, beef meatballs,
leftover turkey, or lamb stew.
- Omit chicken and pour sauce over fried eggplants or
baked root vegetables
The Fesenjan Culinary Spice Kit includes the following spices:
Turmeric, cinnamon, orange peel, cardamom, rosebud
Persian Khoresh Fesenjan
- 1.5 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 4 cups finely ground walnuts
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/4-1 cup pomegranate molasses *)
- salt & pepper
- pomegranate for garnish
- pomegranate or cranberry juice*)
- fresh herbs chopped
Culinary Spice Kit
- Turmeric, cinnamon, orange peel, cardamom, rosebud
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Rub all chicken pieces with salt & pepper to taste and with Fesenjan Spices.
- In a PAN, heat 1 tbsp oil. Fry onions until slightly golden. Add chicken pieces and fry them on all sides until light brown. Set aside.
- In a large POT, add ground walnuts.
- Add 4 cups of water to the walnuts, mix well, cover, and bring to boil. Cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Stir in salt and pomegranate molasses to taste. The flavor should be tangy and a bit sweet. If the sauce appears too sour, add sugar until it's just fine for you. Cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add the chicken and onions to the POT, cover, and cook over medium-low heat until the chicken is cooked.
- Serve Fesenjan with rice, and optionally fresh herbs and pomegranate seeds.