Ghormeh sabzi is a very popular Persian stew made with herbs, beans, and often lamb. The spice kit includes two ingredients that create the extraordinary flavor of this aromatic dish: Persian dried limes aka Omani limes and fenugreek leaves also called methi. Crush some leaves in your hand and note the scent of caramel.
- 1 can red kidney beans 15 oz, rinsed
- 1 lb leek sliced
- 1 bunch parsley finely chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- vegetable oil
- salt & pepper
Ghormeh Sabzi Culinary Spice Kit
- Pouch  Methi (fenugreek leaves)
- Pouch  Omani limes, turmeric
- 1/2 lb lamb filet cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 4 cups cooked Basmati rice
- In a medium POT, heat 2 tbsp oil.
- Fry onion and garlic over low-medium heat until the onions turn translucent.
- Careful of splatters, add the leek and fry until it’s soft. Stir frequently.
- Add herbs and Ghormeh Sabzi  spices. Mix well.
- Continue to fry until the mixture has lost most of its moisture and starts to turn brown.
- Stir frequently. Pay attention not to burn the herbs.
- Add beans, 1 cup of water, Ghormeh Sabzi  spices, and salt & pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Cover. Cook 20 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Stir occasionally. Add more water if necessary.
- Season lamb with salt & pepper to taste.
- In a PAN, heat oil and fry lamb quickly over high heat to your desired doneness.
- Add lamb to the finished stew.
- Serve ghormeh sabzi with rice.
Variations ▪ Substitute leek with spinach leaves. Skip step 3. Add spinach together with herbs in the next step. ▪ Substitute cilantro with another bunch of parsley, or a bunch of chives or dill. If you want something extra special, we recommend Persian chives. ▪ Substitute kidney beans with black beans or cranberry beans. ▪ Substitute lamb with pork, beef, or chicken.