Pakistani Kadhi Pakora
This recipe combines two dishes: crisp Pakora fritters and gravy-style Kadhi. Both use garbanzo bean ("chickpea") flour as the main ingredient. Though variations are included, we recommend staying original. Garbanzo bean flour has a wonderfully unique taste. Think of falafel or hummus. You can order the flour online or grind dried beans.Tip: Fry whole dried chilies in oil. Pour oil on the served Kadhi.
- 1 lb chicken thighs or 2 lbs drum sticks optional *)
- 2 large onions thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 1 inch ginger grated
- fresh chili optional
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup spinach, parsley, or chives chopped
- 1 cup yogurt plain
- 1.5 cups garbanzo bean flour
Kadhi Pakora Culinary Spice Kit
- Pouch  Coriander, mild chili, fenugreek, turmeric, cumin, asafoetida
- Pouch  Ajwan and cumin seeds
- In a BOWL, add yogurt, 0.5 cup of flour, and 0.5 cup of water.
- Mix until well combined.
- In a large POT, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Fry half of the onions until they turn brown.
- Add garlic, ginger, and Kadhi Pakora  spices.
- Optionally, add chilies.
- Stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes. Mix well.
- Cook 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the POT.
- Optionally, add chicken.
- Add 2.5-3 cups of water and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Cook over low heat for 30 minutes or longer until chicken is done, stirring frequently.
- In a BOWL, mix half of the onions, spinach, 1 cup of flour, salt to taste, and Kadhi Pakora  spices.
- Mix well. Let soak for 20 minutes.
- Add about 2-4 tbsp of water to make a thick paste.
- In a PAN, heat 1 inch of oil over high heat.
- Use 1 heaping tbsp of the Pakora mixture for each Pakora. Optionally, form little balls.
- Fry on all sides until golden and crisp.
- Serve crisp Pakoras in Kadhi.
- Optionally, let Pakoras soak for 5 minutes in the Kadhi before serving.
Notes/ Variations *) Add chicken when adding the yogurt mixture and cook until done. ▪ Substitute the yogurt mixture with this flour-water: Dissolve 2 tbsp of any flour in 1 cup of cold water. ▪ Use the Kadhi Pakora  spices in fritters or hash browns.