Javanese Sate Ponorogo
Believed to have originated on the island of Java, within the archipelago of Indonesia, sate is recognized as Indonesia’s national delicacy consisting of seasoned, skewered, and grilled meat served with a side of sweet and salty peanut sauce. An abundantly popular street food option, it comes with any type of meat from chicken to crocodile or tofu. Authenticity requires the meat grilled over a charcoal heat for its distinct flavor, making this dish perfect for grilling on a warm summer day.
- 1.5 lb chicken breast, thighs, or tenders
- 1 small onion quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 0.5 cup peanut or cashew butter
- 24 skewers *)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari **)
- 1-3 tsp brown sugar
- oil salt
- 1 fresh chili
- 1 tbsp dried shrimp or anchovy paste
Sate Culinary Spice Kit
- Lemongrass, ginger, galangal, chili, coriander, garlic, lemon peel, star anise, cilantro, onion, basil, cumin, white pepper, cinnamon, lemon crystals, lemon oil
- Cooked or steamed Jasmine rice
- English cucumber or daikon sliced
- Any fresh salad of your choice.
In a BLENDER, blend onions, garlic, and 1.25 cup of water until smooth.
Optionally, add shrimp and chilies.
In a POT, heat 0.25 cup of oil over medium heat.
Careful of splatters, stir in peanut butter.
Add the onion-garlic water and soy sauce.
Season to taste with Sate spices (start with 1 tsp), sugar, and salt.
Mix well. Cover. Bring to a boil.
Turn heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes until the sauce thickens and the oil separates on the surface. Stir frequently.
Cut chicken into 1/4-inch thin strips.
In a BOWL, mix 2 tbsp oil with 2 tbsp sate sauce and 4 tbsp soy sauce.
Add chicken, mix well, and let marinate for 30 minutes.
Thread chicken onto skewers and grill them until they are browned on all sides.
Serve sate skewers with rice, sate sauce, cucumber, and optionally daikon.
▪ Substitute chicken with sirloin beef or your preferred steak or lamb or with cubed firm tofu.
*) If using wooden skewers, soak them first for 0 minutes in water.
**) Or Indonesian kecap manis sauce, if available.