Okonomiyaki is a savory Japanese pancake. The name translates to 'grill what you like'. The most popular ingredients are stock made from seaweed and shredded green cabbage. Okonomiyaki is also called 'Japanese pizza'. Like the Italian relative, you can add any desired toppings. A top seller at festivals is a thinner version that is wrapped around a stick.
- 3 medium eggs
- 5 cups savoy or green cabbage (packed), finely chopped
- 3 green onions finely sliced
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 lemon for juice
Okonomiyaki Culinary Spice Kit
- [Okonomiyaki] dried seaweed
- [Shichimi Togarashi] sesame seeds, seaweed flakes, poppy seeds, orange peel, chili, Sichuan pepper
- Substitute 1 cup of cabbage with 1 cup of bacon, mung bean sprouts, shrimps, or sliced squid, or a mix of it. Mix well.
Optional Typical Toppings
- bonito fish flakes, seaweed flakes, pickled ginger, or fried bacon
- In a medium BOWL, mix Okonomiyaki spices with 1 cup of water.
- Let soak for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small BOWL, mix ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and tamari.
- In a large BOWL, whisk the eggs.
- Add the seaweed with the water.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt to taste. Stir until smooth.
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil.
- Spread out a half cup of batter.
- Distribute 1 cup of cabbage on top and press into the batter.
- Cook over medium heat until golden.
- Turn and cook the other side. Press frequently with the turner.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Repeat until the batter is finished.
- To serve, drizzle each Okonomiyaki with mayonnaise (optionally, add a bit lemon juice) and the sauce.
- Sprinkle with green onions, Shichimi Togarashi spices to taste, and any desired toppings.