Vellutata, which means "velvety," is a simple and gentle yet elegant soup. What makes it "velvety" is its fusion of a creamy vegetable base topped with a light mushroom sauce. Try diced mushrooms for a change and more texture. Our spice blend adds the extraordinary flavor of precious porcini mushrooms combined with chives and tarragon. If you are not a fan of vegetable cream, serve the sauce with your preferred pasta.
- 1/2 lb sirloin steak or chicken breast thinly sliced
- 2 lb cauliflower roughly chopped
- 1 large potato diced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms diced or sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Vellutata Culinary Spice Kit
- Porcini mushrooms, garlic, tarragon, chives
- In a POT, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and fry until they turn brown.
- Add the cauliflower and potato.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste. Fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth. Mix well. Cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Let it cool a bit.
- Transfer the soup to a BLENDER.
- Blend it until smooth. Return the soup to the POT.
- Add the cream. Adjust salt & pepper.
- Mix well. Cook for 5 minutes without lid.
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Add the meat seasoned with salt & pepper to taste and fry it to your desired doneness.
- Take the meat out and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms. Fry until they are soft.
- Add the Vellutata spices and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Return the meat. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve the cream in bowls topped with the mushroom sauce. Enjoy!
- Omit the meat.
- Substitute cauliflower with zucchini.
- Substitute heavy cream with sour cream.
- Substitute mushrooms with leek or green asparagus
Substitute the soup with cooked pasta.
Add 1 cup of heavy cream with the Vellutata spices to the sauce.