Despite the name of this dish, it didn't originate in Naples. It's a variation of pasta al pomodoro (noodles with tomatoes), a basic Italian meal. This Napolitana spice blend adds the Mediterranean aroma of mixed herbs. Optionally, try a variation with vegetables or meat (Spaghetti Bolognese).
- 1 lb ground meat  optional
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 8 oz vegetables  finely cut (optional)
- 1 cup basil or parsley leaves for garnish
- 1/2 cup cheese  finely grated (optional)
- 1 can tomatoes  17-18 oz
- 1 lb spaghetti or capellini, bucatini, or other noodles of your choice
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Napolitana Culinary Spice Kit
- Onion, garlic, oregano, basil, marjoram, sage, chili, celery
- lettuce or cucumber salad with a mild dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, and salt & pepper
- In a POT, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and fry them until they are translucent.
- Careful of splatters, add tomatoes and Napolitana spices.
- Optionally, add ground meat and stir until it's crumbled.
- Optionally, add finely cut vegetables. Mix well.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium-low.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for 30-90 minutes.
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions.
- Pour Napolitana sauce over the noodles.
- Optionally, sprinkle with cheese, and garnish with basil or parsley leaves.
 beef, pork, lamb, poultry, or a mix of it  recommended: carrots, turnip, or parsnip; eggplant  recommended: parmesan  The ingredients in the can should be only tomatoes and no seasoning.