Despite the name of this dish, it didn't originate in Naples. It's a variation of pasta al pomodoro (noodles with tomatoes), a basic Italian meal. This Napolitana spice blend adds the Mediterranean aroma of mixed herbs.
Optionally, try a variation with vegetables or meat (Spaghetti Bolognese).
- 1 lb ground meat  optional
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 8 oz vegetables  finely cut (optional)
- 1 cup basil or parsley leaves for garnish
- 1/2 cup cheese  finely grated (optional)
- 1 can tomatoes  17-18 oz
- 1 lb spaghetti or capellini, bucatini, or other noodles of your choice
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Napolitana Culinary Spice Kit
- Onion, garlic, oregano, basil, marjoram, sage, chili, celery
- lettuce or cucumber salad with a mild dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, and salt & pepper
In a POT, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
Add onions and fry them until they are translucent.
Careful of splatters, add tomatoes and Napolitana spices.
Optionally, add ground meat and stir until it's crumbled.
Optionally, add finely cut vegetables. Mix well.
Cover and bring to a boil.
Turn heat to medium-low.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cover and cook for 30-90 minutes.
Pour Napolitana sauce over the noodles.
Optionally, sprinkle with cheese, and garnish with basil or parsley leaves.
 beef, pork, lamb, poultry, or a mix of it
 recommended: carrots, turnip, or parsnip; eggplant
 recommended: parmesan
 The ingredients in the can should be only tomatoes and no seasoning.