Preparing this dish is simple. Its flavor is irresistible - it jumps right into your mouth ("salt-im-bocca"). An Italian everyday dinner consists of at least two courses: pasta, soup, or risotto followed by meat or fish with vegetables or salad. Saltimbocca is a popular second course. We recommend pasta seasoned with a simple sauce as the first course. Make the recipe again: Try authentic Saltimbocca alla Romana with fresh sage leaves and thin slices of veal.
- 1.5 lb chicken breast boneless, skinless, cut into 6-8 thin large slices
- 8 slices prosciutto (raw ham), very thin
- 3/4 lb spaghetti or other pasta
- 1 cup black olives sliced
- 4 anchovy filets
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or cooking wine
- 2 tbsp butter
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Saltimbocca Culinary Spice Kit
-  Sage
-  Sun-dried tomatoes
- fresh Italian bread sliced
- asparagus, cauliflower, or broccoli cooked
- spinach or mushrooms sautéed with garlic
- In a large PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Cook garlic for 1 minute.
- Add anchovies. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add olives. Cook until olives turn slightly brown.
- Add cooked spaghetti and 1 cup of the cooking water to the PAN. Cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle Saltimbocca  spices on plated dish.
2nd course - Prepare
- Cover the chicken slices with PLASTIC WRAP and pound them to about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Season them with the Saltimbocca  spices in an even layer. Don’t add salt!
- Place prosciutto slices on top.
2nd course - Cook
- In a PAN, over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Place the chicken bundles in the PAN in one layer, prosciutto side up.
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Fry chicken for a couple of minutes until the bottom starts to brown.
- Add wine. Reduce heat to low. Cover.
- Let cook for a few minutes until the chicken is done.
2nd course - Serve
- Serve with your preferred sides.
Variations ▪ Substitute chicken with veal or pork cutlets. ▪ Substitute chicken with eggplant or zucchini. ▪ Substitute prosciutto with Spanish jamón serrano, bacon, or cheese. ▪ Substitute wine with broth.