Italian Pollo con Pesto al Forno
Pollo con Pesto al Forno is an easy baked chicken. Just perfect for a weeknight. Our spice blend includes sun-dried tomatoes and precious pine nuts. We skipped the cheese to avoid preservatives. Alternatively, you can sprinkle the blend on a margarita pizza, or pasta with tomato or cheese sauce.
- 2 pieces chicken breasts cut into 4 thin(halved horizontally)
- 8-12 oz mozzarella cut into thin slices
- 2 large tomato/es cut into thin slices
- 1-2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Cooked orzo, baked or mashed potatoes, or French fries.
- Green asparagus, kale or lettuce salad, or sautéed spinach.
Culinary Spice Kit
- Basil, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, salt, black pepper.
- Preheat the OVEN to 350°F.
- Season chicken with salt & pepper to taste.
- Mix Pesto spices with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and 3/8 cup olive oil.
- In a BAKING DISH, spread a thin layer of oil on the bottom.
- Add the chicken halves in one layer.
- Spread the pesto mixture evenly onto the chicken.
- Place tomato slices in one layer on top.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese to taste.
- Add mozzarella slices as the last layer.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste.
- Bake the chicken for about 20 minutes.
Alternative Vegetarian Version
- Cut zucchini lengthwise in half and scoop out the middle.
- Season the inside with salt & pepper to taste.
- Dice the scooped out flesh and add it to the Pesto mixture.
- Fill it back into the zucchini.
- Place the zucchini in the greased BAKING DISH.
- Continue with the assemble and bake steps of the recipe above.
▪ Substitute chicken with zucchini and follow the vegetarian version. ▪ Substitute chicken with fish filet. ▪ Substitute mozzarella with your preferred cheese.