- 320g bucatini pasta
- 6-8 anchovy fillets (packed in oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Grated Pecorino Romano cheese (optional)
- Cook the bucatini pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Reserve about 1 cup of pasta cooking water before draining.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the anchovy fillets to the skillet, breaking them up with a wooden spoon or spatula. Cook the anchovies for 2-3 minutes until they dissolve into the oil and form a sauce.
- If desired, add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the skillet for a bit of heat.
- Once the pasta is cooked, transfer it directly from the pot to the skillet with the anchovy sauce using tongs or a pasta fork. Toss the pasta in the sauce until well coated, adding a splash of pasta cooking water if needed to loosen the sauce.
- Season the pasta with freshly ground black pepper to taste. Be mindful of adding additional salt as the anchovies are already salty.
- Serve the bucatini with anchovies hot, garnished with chopped parsley and grated Pecorino Romano cheese if desired.