Za'atar is a very popular Middle Eastern spice blend, in restaurants served as a tabletop condiment or as a dip mixed with olive oil. There are plenty of variations, all based on sesame seeds, sumac, and thyme or a similar herb. The combination of nutty, sour, and savory makes the taste so versatile and irresistible. Try it for roasted chicken, vegetables, on pizza, hummus, or as a dip.
- 1.5 lb chicken breast or thighs cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 lb couscous Israeli
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 2-3 lemons or limes for juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Culinary Spice Kit
- Sesame seeds, coriander, sumac, thyme, cumin, black pepper
- Rub chicken with salt to taste.
- In a CONTAINER, mix lemon juice, Za'atar spices, garlic, and oil.
- Add chicken. Mix well. Cover and let marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat OVEN to 400ºF.
- Grease a large BAKING DISH.
- Place the chicken in the BAKING DISH.
- Bake the chicken for about 40 minutes until tender inside and crisp on the outside. Turn the chicken halfway.
- Serve chicken with couscous and a fresh salad.
▪ Substitute chicken with cauliflower, (sweet) potatoes, eggplant, zucchini, pumpkin, or root vegetables. ▪ Substitute couscous with rice or potatoes. ▪ Sprinkle Za’atar spices on pizza dough, yogurt, cream cheese, or hummus. ▪ Mix Za’atar spices with olive oil as a dipping sauce for bread or vegetables.