- 1 can coconut milk 13.5 oz
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- salt & pepper
Culinary Spice Kit
- Lemongrass, galangal, coriander, makrut lime leaves, turmeric, mild chili
- Fresh red chili sliced
- Basmati Rice recommended
- long noodles
- Sliced cucumber, carrots, pickles, coleslaw, or lettuce
- In a POT, heat 2 tbsp oil over high heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper to taste and quickly brown it on all sides. Transfer beef to a PLATE.
- In the same POT, add onions, ginger, garlic, and optionally chili to taste. Fry over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes until the onions turn translucent.
- Return beef to the POT. Add Rendang spices. Mix well.
- Add coconut milk and salt to taste. Mix well. Cover. Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low. Cook for 2 to 4 hours until the beef is tender and most liquid has evaporated. Stir occasionally.
- Remove lid, turn heat to high, and fry the sauce to concentrate the flavors. Stir frequently to not burn the beef. The Rendang is done when almost no sauce is left and the beef is dark brown.
- Serve Rendang over rice or noodles with fresh vegetables. Enjoy!
Notes/ Variations ▪ Substitute beef with chicken thighs or eggplants and zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces, or lamb stew. Adjust cooking time accordingly.