Indonesian Nasi Goreng
Indonesian nasi goreng is second on the list of the world’s most delicious meals (voted by CNN readers). Because its original purpose was to use up leftovers, it’s best prepared with rice from the day before and you can be creative with your choice of vegetables. Optionally, add meat or shrimp. We recommend giving tempeh a try. For any combination, the earthy aromatic taste of galangal makes this dish outstanding.
- 2-3 cups vegetables of your choice (see notes) finely chopped or thinly sliced
- 4 cups rice cooked on a previous day
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- soy sauce or tamari (see notes)
- agave syrup or sugar
- vegetable oil
- 0.5-1 lb shrimp precooked
- 1 bunch green onions finely sliced
- 1 cup peanuts finely chopped
- fish sauce or anchovy paste to taste
- 1 lemon for juice
- 1 cup fried onions
Nasi Goreng Culinary Spice Kit
- Galangal, turmeric, black pepper, nutmeg, amchoor, tamarind
- In a large PAN, heat 3 tbsp oil.
- Fry onions and garlic over medium heat until onions turn slightly brown.
- Add vegetables and fry them over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes (see notes) until they are almost cooked.
- Add 2 tbsp soy sauce (see notes), Nasi Goreng spices, 1 tbsp syrup, and salt to taste.
- Add 1-2 tbsp anchovy paste or 1-2 tsp fish sauce. Add shrimp. Mix well.
- Add the rice. Stir over medium heat until the rice is well blended with all ingredients and reheated.
- Garnish with green onions and peanuts.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice, fried onions, and/or add a fried egg.
- For instance: carrots, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, cauliflower or broccoli florets, peas, zucchini, mung bean sprouts.
- Leftover vegetables are fine as well. Reduce the frying time accordingly.
Soy Sauce or Tamari
- Substitutes with a similar taste are: coconut aminos, liquid aminos, or Worcestershire sauce.
- Add 0.5-1 lb chicken breast or tempeh, cut into 1/4 inch strips or cubes, together with the vegetables.
- Place a fried egg on top of the rice.
- Add any pickled vegetables as a side.